Colonnade BridgePort is proud to be partnering with Ecology Ottawa to help replenish the City’s urban canopy and restore greenspaces.
Since 2008, the emerald ash borer has killed 25% of Ottawa’s trees, leaving the City’s tree canopy under threat. With this, climate change, invasive pests, expanding urbanization, and infill construction also pose a high risk to trees in the City. To stay on top of these threats, trees must be replanted to ensure Ottawa stays green. Colonnade BridgePort is proud to announce a partnership with the non-profit organization Ecology Ottawa to replenish the urban canopy in Ottawa and protect greenspaces in the City.
Ecology Ottawa is aiming to give away 15,000 free native tree seedlings to members of the community to be planted on private property. To support this mission, Colonnade BridgePort is proud to be co-hosting tree giveaway events during the summer of 2021. As safety is our top priority, these public events will be set up for “curbside pick-up” only.
- Orleans Town Center: June 8th 11am-2pm (280 Centrum Boulevard)
- Dows Lake Court: June 13th 10am-1pm (865 Carling Avenue)
- 1001 Farrar Rd, Kanata: June 17th 11am – 2pm
- Each recipient is required to fill out a short pre-participation survey before taking a tree – this is so that Ecology Ottawa can keep in touch and see how the trees are doing over the course of the year.
- Each person can receive up to 25 trees.
- It is up to the tree recipient to find a site, plant, and care for their tree. Ecology Ottawa will provide planting and care instructions (both as a physical copy and by email).
- Trees must be planted on private property.
- Please see the Tree Species List for tree species available this year. Please note that we cannot guarantee recipients a certain tree species, but attendees can ask for a specific species at the event.
If you plan to attend one of the three tree giveaways, we kindly ask that you fill out the Participation Survey in advance of the event. This survey will also be available through QR code and physical copy at the event as well. To anticipate attendance and how many tree samplings to bring to the event, we ask that you mention which event you are planning to attend and how many trees you are planning to pick up.